Pages

Saturday, September 27, 2008

AR Update

Parents, I intend to use this blog to write to you several times a month. Thank you for checking this blog often.

Many of you have expressed confusion on AR testing. Let me try to clear up any lingering questions.

    • First, your child will be checking out three books each Monday from our library. Two books are be AR books. One book is "free choice." All students are required to read 30 minutes at home each day. I have provided students with a blue AR folder containing a reading log. This will be our way as communicating together, teacher to parent and parent to teacher.
    • I require the students to check out AR books on their reading level. Tests on books above or below their level will not be accepted. Check the AR bookmark given to your child at the beginning of each quarter for your child's reading level.
    • A list of Highland's AR books can be found under "Explore Reading" on our web page. Books not on the list do not have tests at Highland Elementary.
    • Please help your child to log the books being read at home. In the last two columns I initial and mark the number of points awarded.
    • Testing is completed at school only. Passing scores are 70% and above. When students fail a test, a second test may be taken the following day. This will be the last chance given for passing this test.
    • Points rewarded are based on the number of accurate answers and are computer-generated.
    • Students must hand in their logs for my initials. If your child's log is not initialed, he/she did not hand it in for my initials. I will not be able to monitor this for you, unless your child takes the responsibility of handing it in to me.

I appreciate your help in getting your child "on track."

Thank you!

Mrs. Lambert :0)

No comments: